New MOS 2631
Create Post

Thread: New MOS 2631

New MOS 2631

Hello Marines!

I just graduated from boot camp last Friday and during boot camp they changed my MOS on me. I was in boot camp doing stuff to get my Top Secret Security Clearance and they assigned me a different MOS of 2631 Electronic Intelligence Interceptor Operator. I really have no idea what they do. I looked it up online and every site is giving me the same description. I was wondering if there was any Marines on here that had that MOS or knew much about it. So if you have anything please share it, it would be much appreciated.

Semper Fi!

Thank You a lot dcb188!
    Yeah I'm still in the process of getting my top secret security clearance. I'm excited to go in it. The information you gave me helped out a lot!

Thanks again and Semper Fi!

marine2631, your MOS will be a little different then what dcb188 described above. I have some friends that were/are 2631s but can't really disclose anything, at least not here. Don't worry too much about it, you will do cool things, and you'll find out everything once you get to P-cola for A school. Being a SIGINT'er is just about the coolest job in the world.

I was a 2621 (Morse Code Intercept Operator), but I know all about the 2631 MOS if you have any further ?'s.

Thanks Marines,
    Yeah I'm on RA right now and my boss was telling me more about it, like 2631's work a lot with the NSA and stuff like that. He did kind of got me interested with radio recon I think its called? That sounds like a cool job. He also said that after P-Cola that I might be going to some Air Force base in Texas for some more training? But like everybody said I won't know really til I get there.

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by marine2631 View Post
    Thanks Marines,
    Yeah I'm on RA right now and my boss was telling me more about it, like 2631's work a lot with the NSA and stuff like that. He did kind of got me interested with radio recon I think its called? That sounds like a cool job. He also said that after P-Cola that I might be going to some Air Force base in Texas for some more training? But like everybody said I won't know really til I get there.

Semper Fi!
    Marine2631,
    A piece of advice here when you go to whatever AFB in Texas. Be the most squared away Marine you can be. Often there are some higher Marine SNCOs and Marine Officers stationed or TAD there and they will be watching that you do not pick up ANY of the bad habits exhibited on the base. Stay up with exercise.... don't get too laid back about that or it will be hell when you get back to a Marine base. Finally, remember the Army and Air Force salutes indoors and uncovered. Check with whomever to find out if this applies to you as well. When I was sent to Fort Bennings, we were told to follow the Army way and salute indoors and when uncovered. Felt strange but would rather feel strange than have that damn Master Guns chewing my butt. We were also told to address the Army Command SgtMaj as Sir.... but I never could wrap myself around that idea... So I just avoided him.
    Get all the information up front to keep your butt out of trouble.
    Good luck to you.

Thanks for all the advice Marines. Sorry, I didn't reply earlier, I was caught up with MCT and getting to my MOS school.

Semper Fi!

Hell to the no! Don't ever salute no friggin Army dog indoors. I don't care what his rank. Tell him "I serve in the Naval service of this United States, and we just don't do that".

Quote Originally Posted by usmcdanno View Post
    Hell to the no! Don't ever salute no friggin Army dog indoors. I don't care what his rank. Tell him "I serve in the Naval service of this United States, and we just don't do that".
    Yup, that's the right answer right there. Never have done it and never will. Have been to Ft Benning (Jump School, Jump Master, and LRSLC) and on many an Army base and have never been required to stoop to that. At jump school it used to drive the black hats crazy (actually I think it was a show because they ALWAYS have Marines come through there and had to be used to it) that we didn't salute morning colors in PT formation in PT gear.

As far as what you need to know about the MOS, you'll find that out once you report to Pensacola and start your training. You shouldn't be going to "that Air Force base in Texas" as a 31, so you'll hit your first permanent duty station after you finish your schooling in FL.

Thread Information